Monday, January 11, 2010

Rules and Reality

I forgot to mention that after the accident with the screwdriver, I made up a list of rules for renovations or repairs of any kind!
  1. ALWAYS wear goggles or glasses no matter what the task entails

  2. Always wear a mask (we are all asthmatics here)

  3. Always completely clear the area you are working in. Don't just pile things above or beside, remove them completely.

  4. Keep track of your tools

  5. Pray intently!

This morning I got a note from a incredibly lady I have come to call friend through an internet community. She said she read this blog and thanked me for my insight. I have to admit that I have never been more humbled in my life.

This woman and her husband are going through many renovations in their home, and in their lives as he is suffering from stomach cancer. She has shared much of their story and I have gotten so much from her and it on strength, bravery, perseverance in times of trial.

We are renovating because of a gift of money that got us started on something we should have done when we bought our place 3 years ago. This couple are renovating out of necessity, so that things will be easier for her when he isn't around to help. And their progress is so much better than ours. I will say again that everything in life is a teaching opportunity and we just have to notice it as such and learn from the lesson. I want to thank this dear woman for being an incredible example to work towards.

Even if my husband's accident had been worse, all he would have lost was an eye. He still would be able to live a long and healthy life. Besides the couple I mentioned above, I have a long-time friend of mine lost her two year battle with cancer just before Christmas. Through it all she never gave up her faith or the hope that she would be healed. Lesson - we only need to look a short distance outside our own little worlds to see how others are handling even worse circumstances.

So, I intend to make a new set of rules for real life. I haven't gotten them yet, but I know what two of them are....look to others for good examples, and, pray intently!

No comments:

Post a Comment